Tamil Nadu Ration Card Categories NPHH and PHH ration card: benefit and application process
Tamil Nadu residents have the privilege to identify with digitalized Ration cards (smart cards) for various government incentives. The government, through the NFSA, has launched multiple cards based on family economic standards and needs. TN State is transitioning from old ration cards to new digital smart cards that allow users to access food subsidies and other benefits. The cards provide comprehensive information about the applicant’s demographic details for easy follow-up.
NFSA Development of NPHH and PHH cards over OLD Ration Cards
NFSA has developed various Ration card categories, namely PHH (Priority Household) and (NPHH)Non-Priority Household. Each card is unique and contains multiple benefits based on the user’s financial class. Before Tamil Nadu, citizens applied for three ration cards APL, BPL, and AAY (Antyodaya). The issuing body later revised the cards designing the Non-Priority and Priority smart cards.
State citizens must analyze the cards and apply for their right cards online or offline platforms. Applicants must fulfill set eligibility criteria and provide required documents by the NFSA. Individuals in the Priority Household (PHH) are categorized to receive food subsidies, and government incentives are lower prices. People who don’t fit the Priority criteria enter the Non-Priority Household class.
Groups under the Priority category
- General Priority
- AAY ration card
- Annapurna Yojana
- State Priority
- Social security
NPHH Ration Card
NPHH ration cardholders are not eligible to receive food subsidies from the NFSA system. The government aims to remove a particular percentage (25% rural and 50% urban) of people from the subsidized food category. However, the applicants will receive NPHH cards to avail other benefits. The user can utilize the card as an identity document.
- Applicants Aadhaar card
- Income certificate
- Residential proof
- Old Ration card (for existing users)
- A legal undertaking proving the user doesn’t fall under the priority household category.
- Caste certificate (optional).
How to Apply for NPHH Ration Card Online
- Go to the TNPDS or NFSA website page via the link https://www.tnpds.gov.in/
- Open the homepage and select the “smart card application form” option.
- Enter the required details on the form to complete the application process.
Offline Application Process
- Visit the PDS offices and request the NPHH Ration card application form.
- Enter the mandatory details and attach required documents (address, income certificate, Aadhaar card, etc.)
- The form should link all family members’ Aadhaar card Xerox.
- The user can enter their permanent address if they have one.
- Next, fill out the undertaking form that states the user doesn’t fall under exceptional class.
- Review the document and submit the application form.
- The respective authorities will review and approve the card within the designated time.
Benefits of NPHH Ration Card
- NPHH users can avail sugar as a subsidized commodity. However, they cannot benefit from other commodities.
- The user can use the user NPHH card as an identity proof document.
- Tamil Nadu state government can easily trace a number of families and their livelihoods using the Ration card.
Tamil Nadu state citizens need to check the correct card before requesting for NPHH or PHH card. It’s challenging to shift from NPHH to PHH as one must visit the authorized offices.
- Can NPHH card users benefit from subsidized food commodities?
No, the card doesn't qualify users to access subsidized commodities from ration card shops.
- Who can apply for an NPHH ration card?
The head of the family should apply for the card as directed by law.
- nphh ration card meaning?
NPHH meaning is Non-Priority Household